Electrical & Air-conditioning (07) 31555014 office@tmot.com.au

home diy This article from the Herald Sun on March 15, 2011, outlines the real dangers that faulty wiring poses on homes and businesses.

A TOORADIN woman says she got “the shock of a lifetime” when her house became electrified by a faulty power line last week.
Sharon Hatzis told heraldsun.com.au that her family continued to live in the electrified house for nearly a week before they were told of the danger.

“Every time we touched the taps in our shower and other parts of the house, we were getting shocks,” Ms Hatzis said.

“As the week went on, I realised how severe they were and I knew something wasn’t right.”

The problem was caused when the building’s earthing wire – designed to prevent electrocution – came loose from a pole.

Ms Hatzis, a bookkeeper, said her partner and two children didn’t know what was going on.

“I was using a toothbrush and my fake nails to turn the shower on and off. We knew if you used both hands on the taps you would get the full shock,” she said.

After nearly a week of mild electric shocks around the house, Ms Hatzis called an electrician friend to investigate.

Finding nothing wrong in the house, the electrician suggested she call the power company.

“I called them on Thursday morning and the woman told me they would send someone out that day,” she said.

“Basically as soon as I hung up the man was at the door telling me not to touch anything to get out of the house.”

“He cut the power and got us out of the house. Everything in the house that was steel was live because the earthing wire had come unstuck,” she said.

The power company told Hatzis she was lucky not to have been injured find more informaton here.

“It was the shock of a lifetime,” Ms Hatzis said. “They said we could have died if we were shocked badly,” she said.

The power company repaired the line, and the family has returned to the house.
For the full article, please click here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/family-spends-week-in-electrified-home-at-tooradin/story-e6frf7kx-1226021642506

If you would like us to inspect, update, or conduct a safety check of your home or business,  call 0415 623 770.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This